16 January 2005

Splash



"Come on!" They urged, "You'll be fine!" How can I say this? I was afraid to look ... well, afraid. So I took a step, then two. "So far so good," I told myself while I tried to balance my weight properly on the tree trunk. Looking down, I could see the water rushing with great ardor. It looked cold. I looked up. Three more steps. One. Two. Three. I can't believe I made it!

Just when I was about to grab her hand, my foot slipped. I fell in the water and something hit my kidney really hard. "Oh shit," I thought. It didn't occur to me that the water was cold, as cold as the air. I needed to get up and out of these woods as soon as possible. All that occurred to me was a stabbing pain in my lower back, reminding me that in doubt I should always go for surety. Irie.

The walk back towards the parking lot was surreal. My clothes were wet, and my back was throbbing. The dogs were nervously running circles around me. "Come on grrls, let's go!" One more step, hon, just one more step. The thought reverberated inside my head like a Buddhist chant.

Oh irony, how I like to taste the sweet bitterness of your lips! In my basement, in 1000 little pieces scattered around the floor, lies my brand new weight bench... Next to it is my training plan, scribbled illegibly on a dirty piece of paper. Well here's the delay I was praying for.

No comments: