03 February 2005

Looking for answers by finding my voice

It is necessary to try and stop dwelling on things that we have no control over. Of course, ranting can sometimes feel so good that it's almost impossible to stop. But really, how productive is this? I am not sure why I decided to enter my thoughts herein, but like to think that my original idea was trying to build something constructive. I have noticed that a lot of my preferred blogs are the one unencumbered with rants, raves, complaints and overall existential angst. I prefer to read about people who have a sense of humor or purpose, who are unwilling to indulge in self-loathing or even worst, who refuse to submit their readers to what they perceive as their own "grandeur."

The blogs that first attract my eyes are the ones with lovely poetry (original or reproduced) and beautiful pictures. These blogs soothe my eyes and allow me to rest and drift a little to pleasant thoughts. It is funny that I have tried to reproduce this subconsciously. Well, funny to those who know me that is. After all, I love politics and debates and cannot resist analyzing what's going on in the world. I'm also very involved in my favorite charity. Yet, I don't feel the need to mention them at all. It's almost as if these other subjects do not belong together with art or poetry.

A few bloggers have actually succeeded in having a pleasant and intellectually stimulating melting pots of their various interests. I am not experimented enough to feel confident in doing so. Though I have kept a journal for the longest time, and I have always corresponded to far away friends, managing the blog is not the same process. The reader is the public, therefore it's almost impossible to focus on one particular tract. Those who do so tend to alienate new readers easily. Again, I speak for myself here. I have read blogs where the writer confides their woes in trying to conceive, overcome a disease, live through an affair, etc. The feeling I get is something on the line of weariness. Though I do not have to go through this trouble to be interested in the writer's description, I get quickly weary of the tedium of repeated ups and downs (mostly downs, let's face it, we shall overcome is an ideal not easily attained). I often wonder how helpful are these repeated accounts to others sharing the same situation. As human beings we easily get engrossed in our own affairs and have no problems whatsoever with recounting them over and over again to anyone within earshot.

How can one avoid this pitfall? The dull repetition of facts and the neverending impression that the writer is stuck on a plane where development is limited. Allow me to admit and reveal my own ignorance. I think that striving for that state might be part of the writer's goal. Maybe that goal is the journey, and the destination is really Valhalla. I learn tremendously by reading other people's blogs, therefore I see it as part of my "training." As I build this blog, I will start listing on the sidebar the ones that stimulate me or inspire me the most. I am almost afraid to disclose that list, for fear that the variety which it will show could also reveal something about what's going on in my head!

On another note, these musings also brought in mind the idea of comments. That part of blogging is fun because it involve some interactive activities. It lets the writer know that someone is actually reading his or her words, and therefore might be enjoying them. There is nothing wrong with a little ego stroking. Yet, as an avid reader of blog, I fail to leave a trail of my visit. Why is that? I am not sure I can input anything of value to the writer. I agree with what you said, wow, you hit it right on the head! or again nice pictures. Do these comments mean anything? I know that, personally, I am not writing to be read but to release (or is it to find release?). If someone finds comfort in those words, it is surely an additional bonus. But do I really want interaction? This question does not imply that I would rather shun it, but rather is asking "is it part of what I am looking for?" I am not quite sure about the answer. I know that some people specifically make an invitation to this effect, "please let me know what you think." Fair enough, I can do so and bore you with my originality, yet convince you that you are not a voice in the wilderness.

It seems to me that most bloggers are really writing to themselves, therefore they do not mind the lack of interaction. Some great blogs have no profile of their writer, do not allow for comments, and are mainly "open air" journals. They are often not outrageous, yet I suspect they are still very much liberating to the writer.

Well, I did not start this entry as an analysis of bloggers or blogs anywhere, yet this is what it turned out to be. Another beautiful side to blogging, I must admit. The answers are as varied as there are writers. I guess what really matters is what am I going to do with it.

No comments: